Доктор Кто The best of the Whoniverse

personoflolol posted on Oct 08, 2013 at 09:28PM
I figured I would start a forum with promising results of interesting content. So I decided to list my top 10 favourite Dr Who TV stories. Lets begin a countdown...

10. Vincent and the Doctor. An episode with some intense drama, some incredible acting and interesting conceptualization, this episode is deserving of all the praise it gets. Enough said.

9. Dalek. A masterful introduction of the Daleks in the revived series. This episode is handled exceptionally well in both writing and production. The Dalek is presented as a war machine of immense power. The emotional moments are also very effective and the conclusion is very powerful in its message, even if one could argue that it is a subjectively flawed one.

8. The waters of Mars. An episode in which the main protagonist is sick of his responsibilities causing endless loss for him, and finally snaps. The first two acts are a simple albeit brilliantly executed external alien attack story, but the really epic part is when the Doctor returns to the base, owns the Water creatures, and uses his general awesomeness to save the day. This leads to a powerful climax where the emotions run wild. A great setup for the end of number 10's tenure.

7. The empty child/The Doctor dances. An episode which just seems to get everything right. The writing, the acting, the production and use of representation. This story is a masterpiece. It has effective drama, it has great CGI whenever it is used, and the scary moments are... chilling. This is a must see not just for Whovians, but Sci-fi fans in general.

6. The Pandorica opens/The big bang. Much like number 7, this episode is one that gets it all done right, from the acting all the way to the lighting of each setting. There are complex narrative, emotional climaxes and stunning visual sequences all masterfully placed within one truly epic televised story.

5. Blink. Now I know what you are all thinking... why is this not number 1? Well, as amazing as Blink is, I feel there are a few stories just that slight bit better. (Though that is not a statement of significant degradation in any sense) It is a Doctor-lite story that unlike Love and Monsters... works. The Weeping Angels are also really awesome and scary villains. The moments at the end of some of the scariest in the show's history. The narrative is also really compelling and the characters are all well developed and interesting, so I can understand why it receives such overwhelming critical acclaim.

4. Midnight. Many consider this to be Russell T Davies' best work, and its easy to see why. This claustrophobic fright-fest is a recipe for perfectly executed characterisation, chilling edge of your seat moments within the climax, and heavy, intense drama through the conflict within the narrative. This story is also arguably the best we see of David Tennant as an actor and the capabilities he had in embracing the character of the Doctor. This episode can put any RTD hater to shame!

3. Silence in the library/Forest of the dead. This story is one that is just set up to succeed. It has complicated and compelling narratives, many interesting characters, really effective lighting and mise-en-scene and highly regarded visual quality. The story is engaging as well as entertaining, the idea behind the character of River Song is masterfully planted within this story, and the concept of Donna living in a cyber world was really well executed as well. All in all, a perfect episode for Whovians.

2. Human nature/The family of blood. This one was great to begin with, and just keeps getting better every time I see it. This story gives us some really effective characterisation, as well as an engaging narrative. The drama is... IMMENSE!!! Seriously, the emotional journey within this story is so effective and so brilliantly portrayed that I cannot think of another time in the show I was so emotional. The climax and the speech from Thomas Sangster also gave us some pretty awesome albeit chilling definitions and portrayal of the Doctor as a character. On that note, the imagery is absolutely fantastic, and I think that can sum up this entire story!

1. Bad wolf/The parting of the ways. This one is so overlooked and underrated it could be considered a criminal act. This TV story is so masterful in every single way! The story, the characters, the portrayal of the Daleks, the representation, the ending, the action scenes, the sad moments, the ending... it just has something for everybody, and it's all really epic stuff! I could praise it all day but I'm gonna make this short and sweet... this story is a MASTERPIECE in every possible respect!

Runners up: The Girl in the fireplace, Utopia, The Doctor's wife, The girl who waited, The impossible planet/The Satan pit...

So, that, in my opinion, is the best of Dr Who. What are your favourites?

Доктор Кто 2 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года labyrinth75 said…
I disagree but you have great taste. I disagree because I aslo watch the Classic Series
Больше года labyrinth75 said…
Soooooo many :D Top 3 Stories from each Doctor GO!!
1st Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs, The Dalek Invasion of Earth
2nd Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Web of Fear, The War Games
3rd Doctor: The Daemons, The Three Doctors, The Time Warrior
4th Doctor: Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, The Talons of Weng-Chiang
5th Doctor: Earthshock, The Five Doctors, The Caves of Androzani
6th Doctor: Attack of the Cybermen, Vengeance on Varos, The Two Doctors
7th Doctor: Remembrance of the Daleks, Battlefield, The Curse of Fenric
8th Doctor: The TV Movie....
9th Doctor: Dalek, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor: Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, The Waters of Mars
11th Doctor: Vincent and the Doctor, The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, The Doctor's Wife