With so many cell phones in the world, it’s no wonder that every so often Ты receive a strange text message from someone Ты don’t know. Chances are it’s a wrong number. Simple as that. But what if it isn’t? What if the message is really a clue to some top-secret puzzle, или sent from a spy trying to warn Ты of an assassination attempt?
These are the thoughts that run through our minds whenever we receive the message “where r u?” from a phone number we do not recognize. How do Ты handle these coded messages/wrong numbers? Here are a few options.
1. Text back – It’s tempting. If Ты don’t know the person, why not send a message, “Who is this?” and wait for a response? We'll tell Ты why not: because the person on the other end might be a high-tech serial killer simply waiting to make sure you’re near your cell phone before he hits the correct sequence of buttons that will blow up your phone, killing или maiming you. We found no recorded evidence of such an attack, but that only means the government doesn’t want us to know about it.
2. Look up the number online – There is a lot of information online, but finding a cell phone number on the internet is almost impossible. Ты could spend a good five минуты trying to track down the caller, only to learn that the digits aren’t listed anywhere. Plus, you’ll need to suffer through snotty Google’s constant badgering of, “Did Ты mean….” No, Google. We didn’t mean that. We meant what we said, Ты arrogant know-it-all.
3. Pretend it was from a celebrity – There are many Знаменитости in the world, and they all have cell phones. Even Tom Hanks. There’s a slim chance that such a celeb sent out a text message to Ты by mistake. So, without doing any research whatsoever, feel free to assume the odd text message came from your Избранное celebrity. It just might be true.
4. Wait for еще information – If Ты do not respond, the person on the other end might send a follow-up message, such as, “Mike and I are going bowling,” или “I’m a high-tech serial killer who shall blow up your cell phone.” Play the waiting game, and еще clues may follow. (Discontinue the waiting game after two days, because the game is pretty much over by then. Ты lost.)
5. Ask your Друзья – Sometimes a friend might be using someone else’s cell phone, или a new phone, thus resulting in a strange phone number, so Ты may want to ask around. By process of elimination, Ты could check with all of your Друзья and relatives by sending out a text message such as, “Did Ты text me?” или “Did Ты text me, fool?” This probably won’t work, but at least now all of your Друзья and relatives think you’re Популярное because Ты get fancy text messages.
6. Write an Статья about it for SparkNotes, and hope the culprit reveals himself/herself in the Комментарии section.
7. Bury the phone in the backyard – Because the old woman in the scary house told Ты it’s the only way to stop the curse.
8. Do nothing.
9. Overanalyze the message – What could “where r u?” mean? Was it sent from your secret crush? Did the texter use playful R’s and U’s because s/he is in Любовь with you? Should Ты put on fancy clothes and pack a bag because this mystery lover is about to whisk Ты away on a romantic motorcycle ride across the country? Is this how Ты will find the Любовь of your life?! Eeeee!
10. Send the person a фото of your butt – As if Ты haven’t already done this. link