Офис Storyline error? (Michael's orientation videos)

nezenic posted on May 20, 2007 at 06:46AM
Okay, this is just something that I've been confused about. I'm not sure if it was an error in the "time line" or what. But it's something I've been curious about.

(I'm doing these from memory, so not sure of them being 100% correct)

Facts, stated during season 1, Jim worked at Scranton for 7 years, Michael for 12 years, 4 of which he was regional manager.

In season 3, Michael showed the Lazy Scranton Orientation Music Video (of course hilarious), and Jim stated that it reminded him of Michael's orientation video when he started, the Scranton witch project (also, hilarious). Possibly continuity errors: Jim's orientation would have been 7 years before, according to season 1, and 9 years before, according to season 3. But Michael wasn't regional manager then, because, according to season 1 he was manager for only 4 years, which means he wasnt manager when Jim was hired.

Is this an error in the storyline? Why would Michael have made the orientation video when he was only a salesman?

Офис 14 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года mrmuddle said…
Is it possible he made the video as Assistant (to the) Regional Manager?
Больше года Smafdi said…
Holy Cow! You are The OFFICE Super Ultimate Fan!
Больше года smackdabish said…
I don't think Jim worked there for seven years.

Remember, in "The Secret" when Jim says "I had a crush on you when I first started here, but that was like three years ago."

Jim: And seriously, it's totally not a big deal, ok? And when I found out you were engaged, I mean.
Jim: And Pam it was like three years ago so I am totally over it.
(thank you OfficeQuotes.us)

Anyway, so if Pam and Roy had been engaged for three years and Jim found out soon after he first started, that means that he had been there for LESS than three years. So then that would make sense about Michael's video.

Where does someone say seven years?

[EDIT] link
Wikipedia says 5 years. I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE!
last edited Больше года
Больше года nezenic said…
On episode one, Michael comes out of his office yelling "wazzuuupp!" Jim replies "I still love that, after seven years..."

So Jim either worked there for seven years, has known Michael before getting the job, or just threw the number seven in there to be sarcastic.

I remember the Pam thing. I guess I just thought that when he said that, he meant that he had a crush on her when she first started there. Didn't give much thought to it because I always maintained Jim's statement in episode one to be true.

And yeah, I also concluded he may have been the assistant (to the) regional manager. So I guess a couple things don't add up.
last edited Больше года
Ohh there I thought he was referring to how Michael says "wazzzuuuup," which I think was in some movie/show/commercial or something popculturey and I thought Jim was implying that the joke was so old, aka seven years.

Who knows.
Oh okay. Didn't consider that I guess...

I also thought of something else that implies Michael was Manager when Jim was hired. On the episode where Packer left the "Package" for Michael in his office, Michael tells Dwight that Jim's desk is where he used to sit. So that kind of implies that Jim wasn't hired until after Michael became manager, considering Jim used that desk when he was first hired until he moved to Stamford.

Also, if Wikipedia said Jim worked there for 5 years, that might be correct when considering season 3. During season 3 Michael would have been manager for 6 years.
last edited Больше года
Больше года steph455 said…
That 7 year comment was made about the wazzzzup phrase, when budwiser first made that commercial it was about 7 years ago maybe longer. Haha you guys take this show too seriously its very funny, researching it all and what not.
Yea I know I do lol.
I appreciate details, haha.
Больше года ursikai87 said…
I think when he was talking to Pam, Jim said he had a crush on her when SHE first started, not when HE first started. I'm pretty sure...
Больше года callstories said…
Yeah, you're right. It was when SHE first started. I just watched that episode the other day.
Больше года marissa said…
wait...i though pam was working there longer then jim...

my brain hurts.
Больше года chel1395 said…
The Blair Witch Project came out in 1999, so Michael would have most likely played off the movie when it was at it's most popular. Off that, we can assume that Jim was hired in 1999 or 2000, meaning he has worked there for six or seven years.
last edited Больше года
Wow, I didn't realize this topic was still active. I am starting to lean towards Jim working there for 5 years, as of season 2. Because Ryan stated that Jim has worked there for 5 years, when talking about his doubts on Jim actually going on the trip. Whether or not he was telling the truth, or just saying 5 years, because its a nice, round, number, who knows... There might also be the possibility that Michael didn't make the Scranton Witch Project until a couple years after the blair witch project was released. Hard to say, I guess. I didn't think about all of these factors when starting this topic, I was just thinking about on the pilot when Jim said how the wazzaup thing was funny after 7 years... but that was quickly affirmed to not be evidence of Jim's annual standing with the company.