Офис Relationships in THE OFFICE

ccarter219 posted on Jul 10, 2007 at 09:37PM
Ever notices how dysfunctional the supposedly romantic relationships are on this show?

Pam's was with Roy, who treated her crappy, but she's in love with Jim.

Jim's with Karen, but in love with Pam. Even Karen says "sometimes you have to push through the rough parts"...doesn't seem like anyone's happy there.

Ryan's with Kelly and I think he can't stand her. Kelly says things are "awful..but sometimes awesome" with their relationship.

Michael's with Jan, who's embarassed by his every move and we all know how unhappy he was in that relationship. (By the way, he was the only one brave enough to call it quits before things got ugly)

Kevin says his "fiancee" Stacy goes on trips and never tells him where she's going or when she'll be returning (Valentine's Day episode)

And what was up with Dwight and Angela in the Diwali episode, when he says loud enough for her to hear, "Yeah, I'm totally single."? But I think they are a happy couple, despite that incident.

Seems Stanley and Teri are happy...but then again, he's so surly.

Looks like Phyllis and Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration are happy.

But really, what's your take on these relationships? What are the writers trying to tell us about relationships? Or am I just over analyzing things?

Just my thoughts....I'd like to hear yours.

last edited on Jul 10, 2007 at 09:39PM

Офис 4 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года papa said…
No, you're not over-analyzing...that's why we have forums so you can air your thoughts.

But I think the basic point to the above is that *some* (not all) of the dysfunctional relationships are _funny_. I mean, Michael's incompetence makes both the fact that he's head of Dunder Mifflin Scranton as well as dating a (former) corporate head-honcho from the NYC office kinda ridiculous but funny. It creates all kinds of insane situations and possibilities. Why is Jan so into him? She's desperate for him and it's kinda insane.

Look at the time they went to the party at the CFO's house. Michael kept embarrassing her, but she still attacks him when they went to the bathroom. Michael breaks up and what does Jan do? She shows up with a boob job.

So the relationship starts where we think that Michael is the nutcase, but it turns out that Jan is the animal (filming them having sex?). We were led to think that Michael was the desperate one, but it turns out that it's Jan!

The Ryan and Kelly relationship has a similar dynamic.

Obviously Pam/Roy is not very funny but has a much darker tone to it given Roy's (potentially or actual) violent behavior.

As for the Dwight/Angela point you make, I don't remember the specific moment, but don't they make comments all the time in front of other people to make it seem like they are NOT an item? That's the whole joke right? That they are a "secret" item...nobody can know about their forbidden passion (though a few like Ryan and Jim have seen or heard them getting lovey-dovey).

I guess if anything, the relationships are opportunities for the writers to give us a lot more insight into the characters on the show. How they deal with relationships, what they are attracted to, their failures, their shortcomings, phobias, etc.
last edited Больше года
Больше года supercalo23 said…
And, to be honest with you...aren't all relationships pretty insane in real life? I feel like TV and films are always making relationships seem so nice and cheery when in reality, they're usually quite nutty!
Больше года chel1395 said…
I understand the Ryan/Kelly relationship. I once dated a guy I worked with who was kind of like Kelly...needy and wanted to get married and have kids right away. It got to where I wasn't even that into him, but I stuck it out because it would have been too awkward around the office to break up. I really felt for Ryan when he gets the corporate job and breaks up with Kelly. It's a relief!!!
Больше года ccarter219 said…
Wow. I guess I'm a cold-hearted person. I would rather be honest so we can both move on, than to stay in something that simply isn't working. If I were Jan, I would feel awkward being in a relationship based on superficial (meaning her boob job) factors. I mean, if one of her breast leaks, Michael's out of there again! And then she is twice jilted by a man she thinks is beneath her.