True Writers The Realm of Fantasy: Creating Fantastical Worlds

dragonsmemory posted on Aug 27, 2012 at 08:30PM
From J.K. Rowling to J.R.R. Tolkein and beyond, fantasy authors have always created their own worlds. In these places, the author sets the rules.

Follow me, Jo, as I explain the method behind the creation of your fantasy or science fiction world. I'll include information about famous worlds, such as Pern, Wizarding Britain, Middle Earth, even Florin and Alagaesia.

The realms of fantasy and science fiction are based in fact. But the base is only the beginning.

True Writers 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
Больше года dragonsmemory said…
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

The universe is a pretty big place, with lots of room for fantasy worlds(1) of all kinds. You need to be careful when choosing where the world itself will go. This is where science steps in. Let's look at a world whose location in the universe plays a part in the plot: Pern.

Pern, just like Earth, is the third planet orbiting a golden G-type star. This makes it ideal for life, as it sits firmly in the "Goldilocks zone," where liquid water is possible. Pen's nearest neighbor in its solar system in the Red Star, whose deadly Thread pummels Pern in fifty-year-long Passes when the two planets converge.

Of course, your world's neighbors need not be so violent. However, Pern is a prime example of choosing location. Obviosly, Aanne McCaffrey needed a world far away from Earth, yet able to support humans. Of course, her needs influenced the creation of the planet. In other cases, the planet may influence your needs. In either case, you should research locations in the universe you hope to utilize.

Footnotes:
1. All fantasy and science fiction worlds will henceforth be lumped together as fantasy.