Дебаты Please reply fast!!! I need some great Комментарии for an essay! Tell me what Ты know about sects - what do Ты think about them let's discuss

IsabellaAzuria posted on Jul 13, 2008 at 10:30AM
Can you tell me something about sects? Are you a member? What do you think of sects? What is a sect in your opinion? Stuff like that...
thanks a lot! let's start a good discussion for my essay

Дебаты 44 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года IsabellaAzuria said…
Well I think every religion is kind of a sect. But I also think that it's so confusing. You don't know whether you should believe in something or not - there are "religions" founded by people looking forward to making money with them. There are other religions founded because of dreams or "visions" some people had. But how can you know they really had this dream or that they aren't just any psychos?
Больше года ay3 said…
uuuhhh.... whats a sect? im stupid so i need help......
lol! It's like Scientology ... stuff like that - groups of people calling themselves "religions"
link
last edited Больше года
Больше года claire-aka-bob said…
erm...i would love to help i really would, but erm i dont have a clue? sorry erm...maybe if you could explain more, i might have an opinion on it? ♥
Больше года ay3 said…
oh so its basically wat the 13 colonies were formed of (well except the southern colonies i think those were the debtors) right?
It's just about Scientology, Landmark Education, Boston Church of Christ, Hare Krischna... and so on - what do you think about them?
Cults is another word
Oh please guys u might know what a CULT is so what do you think about Scientology and so on? ^^ lol I'm helpless
Больше года aholic said…
link

hope this helps
lol! I already have the information.... I need a discussion with some people about the subject, nobody understands but thanx anyways *sigh*
Больше года curlsANDjeans said…
Do you have to write an essay with pro and cons or what exactly?
Больше года hellgirl223 said…
ok basically what i think is that sect is a religious or political group that broke off from a larger group, and i think why people create sect because they want to create their own group of their own beliefs rather than following other people's belief and also maybe the group that they used to be in (the larger group), maybe they disagree with that group so they create their won group with their own systems, beliefs, rules, etc.. well thats what i think but i didnt read the whole article in wikipedia. >_<
last edited Больше года
thank you! thank you so much! You understood it! God bless you hellgirl lol!!!! jk - but really - thank you!!! You're the only one who understood. Well it's both religious and political It's up to what kind of sect you wanna talk about. Yeah well at least someone talked about what she thinks a sect is but basically I wanna know your opinion about different Sects. Like do you think Scientology is good? What do you think of the plans of Landmark Education?... like that
last edited Больше года
Больше года christineadkins said…
scientology seems pretty interesting and has some good points about "good" and "bad". the idea of immortality was something im not completely sure with. i have always considered a sort of reincarnation but i really dont believe in immortality. i think everyone eventually really dies. it didnt seem that god has anything to do with scientology. i mean, im not sure if they do or dont believe in god at all. i do though.
Больше года adavila said…
ok I know of some of them like the ones in wango, Texas that the US gorvernment killed or the one that went to south america and commit mass suicide but I dont remember their names all I can say is that they are as dangerous as the real religions or sometimes even more
Больше года DaGirl50 said…
Oooooh! Cults! Okay, well, in my opinion cults are too extreme. But what's the definition of a cult? Could a religion be called a cult? It maybe could. Uhhh... Scientology. Well where I live there was a building or something opened up for it, and protesters came like crazy! They were mostly college students, but they were all dressed up really weirdly. Like aliens and stuff, there were against it. I disagree with Scientilogy because I'm a Christain and believe that there is a God. Sorry, Isabella, I'm not sure how much help this is, I had no ides what sects were bfore this. I thought you had spelled 'sex' wrong????
Больше года HannaK said…
It depends, I think, there are a lot of different 'sects' as long as they are open with what they do there and they are 'democratic', not like there is one person who tells them all what to do, I don't see any harm in them.
The problem is, that a lot of sects are the way that I described. But I do not know very much about the subject.
Больше года amazondebs said…
yeah like curls and jeans said it would beinteresting to know your essay topics rather than just talking blindley about them, i will come back and try and help laterzz when i have time but here's some links i found via fanpop
link
link
and a couple of opinion poles
link
link
thanx! It's just "Cults" and I gotta see what I'll do with it...
last edited Больше года
For example I also need some people answering the question: "Why do you think Cults are founded?"
Ok - here are some questions:
What is a Cult?
Why do you think Cults are founded?
Why do you think people become members of Cults?
Have you had any experience with a Cult yet?
Are there any Cults you think are "good" or "bad"?
Больше года Angie22 said…
Sect? ;) hmm i'm a member of myself sect lol ;) joke ,but i believe only in me,in my power and strong.
Then specially about the Cults (if you know about them)
Your opinion about:
- Scientology
- VPM
- AAO
- ZEGG
- Landmark Education
- Jehova's Witnesses
- Mormons
- Adventists
- Satanism
- TM
- OSHO-Movement
- Hare Krishna
- Mun
- Aum Shinrikyo
- Boston Church of Christ
- Humana Tvind
- Fiat Lux
- Suntemplers
- The Natale Institute
- The Family (Kids of God)
- International community without walls
- Holic-Group
- CAI/CAE
- Vassula Ryden
- Ivo Sasek
- Horst Schaffranek
- Universal Life
- University Bible Fellowship
Больше года em_em said…
Ok I will try and help.
In my opinion a scect or cult is an organisation set up by some one who (not sure this makes sense) may or may not have a belife of their own amnd wants others to join them and belivie in the same thing. I think that commonly held, and negative view (not saying I tink its right), is that the leader of the sect doesn't actually believe in the thing they are preaching but wants others to, maybe for money or maybe power,not really sure why to be honest.
But I think I do know that there are people out there willing to believe in these 'religions' or holdthe same belifes and folow these sects completely.

OK RELLY not sure that makes any sense to anyone who is not me or if its helpful at all :S
Больше года Cinders said…
A "link" tends to be an offshoot or denomination of an established religion. A "link" tends to be disguised as a religion, or disguised as an offshoot of an established religion. (Particularly look at definition six for "cult.")

Just to clear that up.

For example, Presbyterianism would be a sect of Christiantiy. link is indisputably a cult.
last edited Больше года
sorry but i don't like sects
Thank you guys!!!

What is a Cult?

a group of people that call themselves a religion?'
Why do you think Cults are founded? Cults are founded because 1. there is a person that is hungry for power and 2. there are people that are just waiting for someone to follow and give them a bit of hope in their lifes
Why do you think people become members of Cults?
Because of number 2 in the other quest
just people from cults coming to my house to tell me to join like those jhova witnesses or something like that
Are there any Cults you think are "good" or "bad"? "good" maybe mormonian or mormons or whatever "bad" cults that force you to give up everything you have to serve them
Больше года geminigurl89 said…
First of all, as some of you have noted, sects and cults are not the same thing. Sects are groups that have branched off from an already established religion. Cults however, have no prior ties to any existing religions. In sociology we learned that sects/cults are usually founded by individuals who believe they have a "monopoly on the truth." Some positives of these groups are that they do encourage a strong group unity, establish a well-defined set of moral values, and promote social order. By the way, Scientology (which I personally think is kind of ridiculous) is neither a cult nor a sect. Although our society has yet to decide whether or not it is an actual religion, the IRS considers it a "for-profit organization."
Больше года ay3 said…
lol vanessa how smart of u using fanpoppers 2 do ur homework! *gets good idea*
lol! I had to make "interviews" ... so I thought... lol!
Больше года aholic said…
haha I thought you needed help to find out what is was :P Thanks for the prop by the way.
Well, if your quoting me, you can credit me as "Carlin Salisbury."

;o)
Больше года Cammie said…
It depends how one sees the meaning of the word. To me a cult or a sect is a group of people (usually religious)that share in a specific system of beliefs and ideals.
If a movie has a cult following than that's pretty cool, simply means it has a wide admiration by many people. However when it comes to a religious following than I think it's almost always kind of fanatical and extreme. I'd stay away from any group that tries to force their beliefs on others.
The Manson Family (as Cinders as mentioned) is a perfect example of that type of destructive and malicious influence.
who hasnt used fanpoppers to do a homework, one time I copy/paste a storie I found in the writing spot for my english exam :p
Больше года edwardforever said…
yeah wats a sect...? if you tell me i'll be glad to help!
You're kidding, right adavila?

Just making sure.
Больше года Dragonfly0879 said…
Many have said that a sect is a group that has broken away from an established religion. Another important identification mark is also, that a sect has a human leader or teacher that the sect follows.

A cult is a religion that is said to be unorthodox or that emphasizes devotion according to prescribed ritual. Many cukts follow a human leader and often the cult lives apart from human society.
really adavila?
lol
and i think fanpop is little like a sect.I can't live without this site ;) i'm sitting here all my free time;) hehe lol
last edited Больше года
but seriously " Sects" r very dangerous but question is which religion group is a sect? I was in Jehova's Witnesses but i think they r not a sect.People in a sect more to are under Guru's rule.Human will do all what Guru say.This is very dangerous.Sects makes brainwashing.Example - Scientology.
REALLY
Больше года ANNiE_aKa_BeLLa said…
What is a Cult?
well ..i think it's a group of people who seperated from a larger group of people because they maybe disagree on something.
Why do you think Cults are founded?
because they disagree on a subject & want to be with ppl who agree with them (best guess..)
umm.. i'm straight out catholic/cristian.. but there where some ppl that came knocking on my door trying to make me read sum book.. i never read it either..lol
Are there any Cults you think are "good" or "bad"?
well it depends on what you belive in because if ur sure of ur religion.. you won't be interested in changing & you consider most 'cults' bad..
i hope i helped though i'm not sure i got the whole thing..lol!
Больше года harold said…
What Cinders said (I was on vacation, and couldn't answer sooner). But I will add that "cult" is a pejorative term for a group that is differentiated by its beliefs or behaviors (though those behaviors are usually motivated by strong belief). A group that is identified as a cult is always so identified by others, not by themselves. Essentially, it's an insult similar to "wackos". No one identifies his own group as a cult. It's generally those who exhibit beliefs/behaviors very different from one's own that one labels a "cult".

Given this - and you've probably already done this assignment, but I wanted to elaborate - the assignment is more of a personal opinion piece than an objective research assignment, because most people answering those questions would come up with different answers/examples.

Edit: Oh, and I have to ask: what does this have to do with debate? Was this background for a debate on a particular group?
last edited Больше года