Дебаты The World VS The U.S.?

tweakpotter posted on Mar 12, 2008 at 10:04PM
As an American, I get the feeling we are not liked very much by the rest of the world. With our President Nimrod's illegal invasion of Iraq, our nose being stuck in everybody's business, and the likes; I can say I don't blame the rest of the world.

Since Fanpop is a greatly diverse and global village, I thought this would be the best platform to ask this question: What is the general feeling towards the United States in your homeland? And why, no matter if it's positive or negative.

~Josh
save

Дебаты 24 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года xhis14 said…
lol @ topic
Больше года blisslikethis said…
ohboy, this is going to take some major reflection before i have a real answer... i will be back later with something to contribute :S
Больше года Zerstoren said…
Short Answer: Most countries don't like the leadership of America, they feel its lead by arrogant, selfish and ignorant people. Hopefully they don't think the entire country is made up of the same thing.
last edited Больше года
Больше года Snerkie said…
i would say rather it's the U.S vs the World. It seems the U.S is always jumping up and down waving their arms about screaming for attention.

My problem with people in the U.S is they at times only think they're the only ones alive. Like there aren't other countries and there's just theirs.
Its just important to remember American people and the "America" of which you speak are not the same.
Больше года Snerkie said…
...what? America is made up of American people and the way i see America is based upon things from American people, lol
Больше года DrDevience said…
Oh but Zer... for the most part they are the same. That's partially why I left the US and moved to a saner (and freer) country.

Americans are constantly up on the Internet making idiotic statements like they are the only free country, they have the best Health Care, the best education system... yadda yadda yadda.

The rest of the world laughs because they know none of that is true... nor even close to true, and the Americans spouting that nonsense have only to do a few quick Google searches to know the truth. But they prefer to remain willfully ignorant.

Also, when most Americans do get off their ass and travel abroad a bit, they have this air of arrogance about them and demand preferential treatment.. like they think America is the kingdom of the world and they themselves are royalty.

And YES.. there are exceptions. There are some intelligent people in the US... but most are slowly tossing up their arms in disgust and leaving, like I did.
"prefer to remain willfully ignorant" - pretty much sums up my views on America. that and the unbelievable crap the government pulls time and time again, whether on its own people or the rest of the world.. and then that sort of ties back in to what DrD said.

the last time anyone actually stood up and fought back against the American government was the 70s, and after that, it's like everyone either just gave up or left.
Больше года tweakpotter said…
Pretty strong opinions on this one, which I like. But maybe somebody can explain this one to me: With all the people living in the U.S., why do we all get lumped together? And why does it sound like the American people and idiotic American government are one and the same? I never voted for Bush, yet I've been bashed many times for what that A-hole does everyday.

Thanks for the great comments so far.
Because it should not be necessary to have to keep typing out the addendum:

And YES.. there are exceptions. There are some intelligent people in the US... but most are slowly tossing up their arms in disgust and leaving, like I did.

With ANY generalization it is to be assumed that there are exceptions. If the statement does not apply to you, then you are part of the assumed exception. correct?

HOWEVER... this did not start with Bush. Not by a long shot...
last edited Больше года
Больше года amazondebs said…
is there a great lot of migration from the states?

anyways there some other views here in this forum, although when i say other i think they have the general same gist link
Больше года knifewrench said…
I think the US is rather.... intellectually diverse. Now, I know DrD is probably giggling hysterically at that statement, but I guess the percentage of morons can't be that high in America, considering how many bright Americans I've met on this site.
last edited Больше года
DrD's views i can respect on this issue but if you get your gist of American people from the internet or the media, then of course all you encounter or see are idiots.

The Majority of people I know are not hate-spewing ignorant ones, although I have a few of those in my family. Many are very intelligent and no different than people of your own countries. The bad always get highlighted, though.
I just get a feeling of general "hate" towards America on this website, and I don't think its deserved.
last edited Больше года
Let me say this... sometimes you can not and do not notice the extent of the American ignorance and arrogance until you leave the USA for an extended period.
And yes Deb... they are leaving. Five years ago the wait to get residency in Canada was like a few months.... now it is a few years wait to even get to the interview because of the massive influx of American applicants.

And you would not believe the number of American expats in Sweden right now... Something that kinda irks me, actually, because quite a few of those are not adapting and are trying to turn Sweden into a little america now... bitching about topless sunbathing and the like. Idiots.

If you are going to flee a country because you don't like it, then for god's sake don't try to convert your adopted country to be like what you left! IGNORANCE!
No offense, Doc, but if these Americans are fleeing this country because of the way it is, then how intelligent can they really be? Wouldn't it be smarter to stay and fight for what you believe and turn America into the great country we have the power to be?
yes, yes it would. thus reinforcing the point... to a certain extent. still, you can always fight for change on the outside too, a little perspective goes a long way and DrD is a prime example of that, obviously.
Here I am to play devil's advocate again, but with all these issues with the U.S., can anyone here tell me that America hasn't helped, and in many cases, bailed out your country at some point in the last 200 years?
Josh - that is the spin the schools put on it, yes.

what they fail to tell you is what they have done is go in and try to clean up the mess they made in the first place. They were not heroes, as much as they set themselves up to look that way. Who ya think financed the whole Hitler thing to begin with? That would have gone pretty much nowhere without the US laundering the money the nazis stole from the victims.

And as far as staying and trying to change it,well, for me,I reached the point where I took a good look around and decided it was beyond saving... and far too dangerous to even try to do so once the Patriot Act went through.

I came to a country that was pretty much already the way I figured a country should be... and am now fighting over here to try to keep it that way.
I understand the spins of our white man's history books, but even with the spins, this little baby country has done a lot of good that people have tended to forget or play off.

And, as you know from reading a few of my articles, I aqm not ready to give up on America yet. I do believe we are set up to succeed, as long as we keep our heads out of our butts and keep the President Nimrod types out of office.

One final note, I started this topic to get a debate going and not to offend or bother anybody. Yes, I am playing devil's adsvocate, as I've said, but that is to keep the debate going and get real person perspectives from around the world.
Больше года aholic said…
Most dangerous countries to live in:

Angola
Balkans
Colombia
Cote D'Ivoire
India
Indonesia
Iraq
Israel
Nigeria
Pakistan
Philippines
South Africa
United States
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Zimbabwe

And United States still think they can control what the European countries shall do.
where is that list from and what is it based on? i can think of a half a dozen countries that should be at the top of that list and aren't.
Больше года amazondebs said…
yeah i would also like to see the full list