Дебаты The Grand Diamond Дебаты

harold posted on Apr 30, 2008 at 10:45PM
I present the following question for debate:

Are natural or artificial diamonds better?

For the purposes of this debate, I will provide definitions:

* a natural diamond is one that is mined from the earth, having formed over time as part of geologic processes without human intercession before the act of mining. This includes diamonds that have been cut or otherwise treated after mining.

* an artificial diamond is any diamond or imitation diamond that has been formed with some amount of human intercession.

This will be a non-judged, open-ended, participatory, non-moderated debate. This means there's no finish to the debate until everyone who possibly has an argument has delivered it, and that each person gets to decide for himself or herself which arguments are the most persuasive.

Rules for the Great Diamond Debate:
1) Identify your position at the start of each posting.
2) Provide arguments, not merely opinions. Arguments can be debated, opinions cannot. "Real diamonds suck!" is an opinion, "real diamonds are inferior because..." is the start of an argument.
3) Please post debate to the debate. If you are not going to make a pertinent argument, please post someplace else.
4) When/if you post supporting content elsewhere in the debate spot for this debate, please label it in the description as "for the grand diamond debate". Extra credit goes to those who also identify the position the content is meant to support!
5) If you are countering a previous argument, identify that argument: "In regards to the argument that X, I respond that..."
6) Try to not repeat arguments that have come before your posting(s).

Tips
* Provide evidence to support your arguments, if possible
* Provide definitions of terms when necessary. "Better" is a good place to start.

Remember, the topic for debate is:

Are natural or artificial diamonds better?
last edited on Jun 04, 2008 at 11:23PM

Дебаты 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
Больше года DrDevience said…
I am going to go with artificial with this one because -

(Ok I'm flu-addled so bear with me here.)

Prior to about 4 years ago I would probably vehemently argued for natural diamonds, and in general, I probably still would.

However, about that time my youngest daughter found out about artificially made Black Diamonds. I collect black diamonds and adore them. The artificial ones caught her attention when she learned they can be made from humans. (oh stop gagging a minute)

She came to me (since I have such a strong history of cancer) and asked me if it would be ok for her to retain part of my body to be made into a black diamond pendant so she could have me near her forever if I died. That touched me like no other thing anyone has ever said to me.

So umm yeah. In certain instances, the manufactured diamonds can be way more special, and personally valuable, than natural diamonds.

last edited Больше года