Дебаты The Great Дебаты of November 2007

Cinders posted on Oct 14, 2007 at 08:15AM
Alright, folks, I just had an idea. I want to have an actual structured debate in which one person is appointed to the "for" side and one to the "against" side. One person is elected moderator. Three people are elected as judges. The moderator is not also a judge.

Format of the Great Debate:

1) For side: Give opening statement
2) Against side: Cross examines/addresses flaws, or issues in For's argument and asks For questions.
3) For side: May respond to cross/answer questions (MUST answer all questions).
4) Against side: Give opening statements (Repeat steps 1-3 in opposite order)
5) For side: Give closing statement (will elaborate on this later).
6) Against Side: Give closing statement (may not respond to For's closing statement).

The moderator will make sure no one steps out of line, and will "give the floor" to the debators.

The judges will NOT participate in the debate, and will come into the debate with little opinion and/or previous knowledge of the subject. The judges will determine who should win the debate based on their persuasive skills and argument alone, not based on topic matter.

For example, if a debate is about abortion, and you're strongly pro-life, you shouldn't be a judge or, if you really want to be a judge, then you should not simply vote for the person who argues against abortion simply because it fits your beliefs. If he made a better argument than the For side, then by all means, vote for him.

Is this clear?

Now, I am electing myself moderator for this one. I'll throw out a few things for you guys to vote on/discuss.

Topic
I was thinking of these topics for our first debate, as they are simple, and some of them are obscure, which means they'll require research.

Option one: Euthanasia (human)
Option two: Censorship of the Arts
Option three: Prostitution
Option four: Human Cloning
Option five: Security Versus Liberty

Nominees/volunteers for Debaters and Judges

Now, I have none as of late. You may of course volunteer yourself, in fact I encourage you to. If you nominate someone else (because you think they would be interesting to watch), then you may, but they have to agree or else they won't be counted. I'll list all the nominees after a few have been made.

So does this make sense to everyone? I'm scheduling this debate for November so I can sort out all the preliminaries now. Tell me which topic you're most interested in, and who you want to see arguing them.

EDIT: I have now added a link for the topic to make tallying easier. The pick will expire on November First, so make your choice now!
last edited on Oct 14, 2007 at 08:28AM

Дебаты 10 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года greekthegeek said…
can I volunteer? i can see a great debate but usually can't make one up for myself.

i think it would be intresting to see what everyone says and get to pick the best :D
Больше года Cinders said…
So you want to be a judge then? OK, we've got ourselves one judge. :o) Fantastic!
Больше года DrDevience said…
Cinders, if the topic is Liberty vs Perceived Security then I would love to argue for Liberty... the problem is that right now my life is very up in the air so I cannot commit to anything.

I know I must fly over to NY sometime, but not exactly when or for how long. My suitcase sits here next to me already packed, just awaiting the paper in the mail. I may not have much play time on the computer while on this trip, either.

so, as much as I would enjoy this, I cannot promise anything.
If you're back by November, that's when the debate'll start. Depending on how organized we are by then (the topic will be determined by Nov 1st), I'm not sure WHEN in November yet, but I'll keep you posted.

I'll put you down as a potential, tentative debater for the topic Liberty Versus Security.
Больше года DrDevience said…
Well, this suitcase has been packed since August. It is driving me crazy, I tell you. It's an immigration issue. They say there is no problem with my application for residency, but that the rules state I must apply from my home country (the US) and we have been fighting them on this issue...

I mailed a copy of my application to the Swedish Consulate in New York, and will have to go do my interview with them.... when that is is still up in the air, but they will only give me like 4 days notice on it.

Also, while I'm over there, I need to do a few things for the magazine.

I'll keep ya posted.
Больше года kateliness2 said…
I'd also love to judge :)
Great. We have two judges (kateliness2 and greekthegeek) and two (possible) debaters (Kegel and maybe DrDevience).

Depending on volunteers, I may join the judges as well as moderate, just so we have three judges. Also depending on volunteers, debaters may find they have to research and debate a side they don't necessarily support. However, don't let this diminish your arguing skills! If we have four debating volunteers, we can do a Lincoln-Douglas style debate but I doubt it.
Больше года kateliness2 said…
Cinders, we need you to debate :)
Больше года Zerstoren said…
ill volunteer for debating
last edited Больше года
Yessss three debaters, two of them for sure! We're almost ready! Looks like the topic has already been decided... I think we can assume what it'll be. :oD

And kate-- If this one goes well, I expect to organize another debate, in which I may partake in.