Дебаты Global Dimming

Cinders posted on Oct 25, 2007 at 05:42PM
Very good family friends, who happen to be environmentalists, began discussing very environmental things the other day, most of them I've already heard of. Global warming was, of course, mentioned, but then one of them mentioned "global dimming" in passing.

I don't know much about the issue, but he explained that it was that global dimming-- caused by CFS and sulfur particles in the air-- is actually blocking the sun from entering the atmosphere, offsetting global warming. The joke was that with everyone cleaning up their air pollution, the world will actually get hotter because it would clear up the global dimming 'problem.'

Anyone know much about this issue? The above was a JOKE, but I'm curious how much truth is in it.
last edited on Oct 25, 2007 at 05:50PM

Дебаты 6 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года tweakpotter said…
Long story short, Global Dimming is another effect of air pollution. It's basically making the world cooler, and counter-acting Global Warming slightly, but will have just as major of an impact as Global Warming.

That's it in a nutshell.

~TweakP
Больше года DrDevience said…
Interesting. I hadn't heard of this either.
Больше года Cinders said…
So... my question is, does it balance out? Pretty much?
Больше года blisslikethis said…
no, although some think it may have slightly masked the effects of global warming in the past, but the trend has actually reversed since 1990. in other words, we're currently in a period of "global brightening".

also, global dimming only sometimes counteracts global warming, other times it actually magnifies the problem. plus, the aerosols which cause global dimming are harmful to humans, cause acid rain, and mess with the hydrologic cycle.

check out the link if you want more info.
Больше года DrDevience said…
I think evidence of severe Global Dimming can be witnessed everyday on the streets of the USA...

(Ba-dum-bah)
Больше года Cinders said…
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Janie. And doc, as usual, you're a riot and a half.