Дебаты Has Celebrity Worship In The Media Gone Too Far?

amazondebs posted on Jan 25, 2008 at 06:03PM
what's yor opinion of celebrities in the media

are size zero models causing eating disorders? are sporting heros encouraging drugs like steriods? or are talented musicians and actors bringing good entertainment and something to aspire to

whats your take?
last edited on Jan 25, 2008 at 06:03PM

Дебаты 7 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года amazondebs said…
i'm currently looking at this in college and so any ideas and opinion for either side of this arguement would be apreciated! :)
link

here an example of what i mean
on one side there's that there setting a sterotypical image of woman
on the other a article like this would be brilliant for anyone wanting to be a fasion designer
Больше года ollythedolly said…
I could talk about the fashion industry for a while here, but in regards to celebrity worship I think "the media" has gone to far. But there seems to be a need for it, people want to see certain images. I know this has become out of hand when I heard of the hundreds of people outside of the funeral home where H. Ledger's remains are - people waiting for hours just to get a glimpse of his casket - it makes me sick.

As for the "hot or not" website I really don't see how that could help anyone who wants to be a fashion designer, the majority of people on there are just there to see idols, or celebrities looking "not."

Больше года paperclip said…
I think that what's lacking in the media is balance and commonsense. It's sad that sensationalism and girls-gone-hoochie is one big part of it... Albeit, I do believe that if people begin to knock some sense into these celebrities they could be good role models.

In fact, I still think that certain musicians and actors (even programs)that continue to inspire and educate people... the crazy thing is, the press prefer covering the a pop princess throwing tantrums, ms. anna anorexia etc... to a certain extent, they should be held accountable for the utterly tainted image of hollywood, it's uninspiring.
what about the idea though that celebrity worship is a meditocracey?
Больше года Zerstoren said…
Certain kinds of people care about what celebrities do when they aren't acting/sining/dancing etc.

I call these people idiots.

America,which includes the media, needs to focus on t heir own lives and quit wasting money buying tabloids and wasting hours watching britney spears "Breaking-News".

I'm so thankful its election season because at least the media is overanalyzing something that actually matters for a change.
Больше года nosemuffin said…
I don't mind the models so much, they're just kind of like blueprint for fashion, and there's actually some diversity as far modeling is concerned these days, which is a good thing. But celebrities are indeed a problem. I once expected, as the world seemingly became more aware of the issues of eating-disorders, that body image would improve. Information about them were really being brought to light when I was in school and I thought the overall media would become less harsh towards actual womens bodies. Somehow, in the last few years, hollywood has regressed and more celebrities than I can possibly name are walking around looking like Karen Carpenter. When this happens, the celebrities get posted all over the tabloids and magazines with headlines like, "Angelina: Dangerously Thin?" So that would make celebrities less anxious to be walking toothpicks, right? Wrong. About a month ago I was at the market and I saw Jennifer Love Hewitt all over the covers of the magazines at the check-out aisle. She was in her bikini and they were calling her too fat. These SAME magazines that were all over the skinny girls for being too thin were calling JLH (a size 4 maybe) FAT! They will do anything to sell a magazine. Which sort of answers the original question you asked with this post, has celebrity worship gone too far. Yes it has. There is no real difference between tabloid and magazine anymore, just a faint memory of when long ago the magazines used to report actual news, and not just pictures of scantily clad stars with quips about their size and their love-lives. Another huge problems is air-brushing. Air-brushing takes people that are practically perfect to begin with and makes them flawless. How are real people supposed to feel when they see that?