Дебаты Art As A Vehicle For Political Change

Cinders posted on Jan 25, 2008 at 08:23PM
I love art. Music and theater especially, but also books.

I find that the art that effects me most is theater. Some of the best political and moral statements I have ever heard have been made on a stage. My Name is Rachel Corrie, Mitzi's Abortion, Stuff Happens, God (by Woody Allen), We Won't Pay! We Won't Pay!, Spring Awakening, RENT!...

OK I have to go (car waiting for me) but I meant to say more, which I will later, about how art can influence society and not just mirror it.

Дебаты 7 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года Cinders said…
Also, the play Los Vendidos is an excellent piece for stereotyping and the reification of human beings.

The thing is, theater can make serious topics humorous or tragic. It can make a statement with a straight face or behind a mask of parody. And it speaks volumes.

So what artwork do you think is great for influencing society?
Больше года Cinders said…
On a similar note (OMG she is lyk ttly tirpple posting OMG!), I just watched Wag the Dog with my roommate.

Um... Prophetic movies much?
last edited Больше года
Больше года blisslikethis said…
hmm theatre is certainly up there. i think i'd have to say literature above all. 1984 anyone?

besides, most good movies are based on books anyway.
Больше года amazondebs said…
i love the play bouncers about british society, i think theatre is top of my list personally then books
Больше года paperclip said…
books over theater when we're talking of affecting more people and moving them towards political realization and action. Plays aren't that accessible if we look at the global picture (not everyone can afford plays and unfortunately even if there are free plays, it's hard to push people to come). Btw, speaking of 1984, who here loves animal farm? (",)
totally loved animal farm! i played clover in a play :)
and i said personally plays have affected me the most
just remembered a comment from bliss from somewhere about her parent being hippies and it's made me think that music is a funny one as you can get songs like "imagine" or "cleaning out my closet" both completely different but both written to raise awareness about problems in the world