Дебаты Harry Potter and the лук

Cinders posted on Jan 28, 2008 at 06:27AM
Someone posted a link to an article about Harry Potter in the Onion and now I can't find it. It made fun of the accusations that Harry Potter encouraged Satanism by parodying the idea. I think someone got offended and so it had to be removed. Well, fine.

But what I don't understand is, people took the article seriously, despite several statements from myself that the Onion is a parody news source and it was a joke.

So that brings me to the question... One person's parody is another person's insult. Controversial content on Fanpop: What justifies being removed? Does a politically incorrect article MAKING FUN of people who believe Harry Potter is Satanic really warrant being reported? Even if it was a real article, talking about how HP is being banned by over-protective parents who believe it to be evil... It's still news, isn't it?

It's actually hard to offend me. I'm only offended by hateful things. I like political incorrectness, but I don't like racism. But some people are offended by political incorrectness. So if something IS politically incorrect, and someone doesn't like it, it's bound to be removed. This makes me sad, but I understand why it's done. I just... I don't know, I wanted to open the forums up to you folks, see what you think.
last edited on Apr 04, 2008 at 04:21PM

Дебаты 21 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года amazondebs said…
ahh that's so annoying i just posted a really long comment and i've forgotten half of it now and for some reason it hasn't posted grrrr

anyways again i hate PC i'm sorry i just do people need to leanr the difference between being plain nasty, expressing their own opinion and being unPC! people always asume that sterotyping people is automatically being narrow minded but sometimes it's all in good humor a recent example in a pick i took the mick out of dazl by pretending to imitate her with a irish accent and whereing a leprachaun outfit (virtually i've never actually met her)
now some people may consider that unPc against irish people but that's just as stupid as "winter holidays" and "rainbow sheep" and not letting someone who thinks harry potter is satan have their free speech of that
just to further show i really hate pc below is a link to a website that is extremeley offensive but i found it so random and funny
link
i love the cross and swashtica
last edited Больше года
Больше года knifewrench said…
I hate political correctness as well.

I get annoyed when people ban things because of a tiny reference, E.g. we're no longer allowed to do the "hand flop" action in the nursery rhyme Teapot song because it is >>>apparently<<< offensive to homosexuals.

But the thing I get REALLY annoyed about is when extremist Muslims ban Christian stuff. We live in a free country? BULL!
Больше года dazl said…
This forum is offensive! I demand it be deleted! j/k

Debs taking the mick out of me was hilarious. I snorted my drink laughing. And if anyone takes offense, I started reinforcing the stereotype first.

People get way too het up about being 'correct'. They need to learn to take things less seriously. I mean, just take a look at the comments on any video on youtube as an example. Something said in the video as a joke will be blown out of proportion. I was watching Mock The Week, and one of the contestants mocked the Queen. The comments left on the video just took things out of proportion and it became a case of mud-slinging.

People are idiots.
Indeed they are.
i know okay i'm sorry i don't give a dam if anyone think i'm being racist when i say this but laws are being cahnged to suit muslims and not christians
e.g. recently there was a campaign (that got denied) at a school near me where jewellry was banned at a school but muslims were allowed to where their religious bangles however these christian lasses where not allowed to wear opal rings which showed that they were going to be true till they were maried, which isn't that their believes?
britain is bending the rules too much for what used to be minorities making it racist against it's own citezens!
last edited Больше года
Больше года dazl said…
I'm suprised. Britain is supposed to be multicultural and moving towards secularism.

Thank God Ireland hasn't started that. Except for the mainly Catholic beliefs.

I decalre that we should start a campaign to end political correctness. Those who complain should be shot, since they are the ones causing all the friction in the first place.

Debbs, what you said wasn't even slighlty racist, it's very true that rules are being changed for the worse; I was told not to wear my cross, AT A CATHOLIC SCHOOL!

It seems we are supposed to abandon our own beliefs and traditions while accepting everyone else's.

Funking government.
last edited Больше года
I know exactley what you mean my friend got put in to councerling when she rufused to take off a pentacle necklace on the principle of her pagen believes

because apparently she must be in a cult when really she's just very spirtual

and dazl what they mean by multicultural is inenverted racism, i will try and stop it before it reaches you
last edited Больше года
Больше года Cinders said…
Unfortunately, in trying to demonize everything about paganism, the Christians way back when altered the pentagram, flipped it upside down, and turned it into the sign of "Morning Star."
Больше года Ratdog said…
It's completely unfair when my friend isn't allowed to wear her crucifix necklace, yet a Muslim girl in our school can wear her headscarf, which is a breach of safety regulations in certain lessons, I looked it up. The scarf could easily be caught up in a machine when we do technology (I don't know what Americans call it), and when we do PE, girls are supposed to tie their hair back so it doesn't catch in anything, yet her headscarf has, and will continue to be, caught on things.
last edited Больше года
Больше года DrDevience said…
Don't make me spit.

And did a link to a freakin' Onion article really get deleted? Cuz see, that will piss me off and have me ALLLL up in Dave's email....
precisely ratdog

I was forced to take my belly ring in p.e out yet another lass was allowed to keep a bangel on when operating machinery in tech
and as painful as ripping a skin piercing out would be, not nearly a bad as having your hand drilled in to
I'm sure if there is a god he wants 'his children' to be safe?
Больше года Ratdog said…
Yeah, at least my friend could tuck her necklace in, whereas the headscarf hangs down at the front. To me, that is a lot more dangerous.
I don't know, Doc, all I know is that it was there one day and I couldn't find it the next.
Well then... let's see if it gets deleted THIS time....

(*cackle*)
Hahaha, well, it was in the Harry Potter spot before, which is why I think it touched a cord.
Shall I go put it back over there? heh heh heh

Maybe I'll do so tomorrow.. getting late here right now. Time to snuggle with Lars ;)
It is morning, and he is chomping at the bit to go play tourist... which means I get to take tons of pictures of things for Fanpop. YAY!

Maybe when we get back or tomorrow... weekends are bad for me & Fanpop ;>
The deed is done.

someone go pop some corn.
Man. They're no fun over there this time.
I apologize on behalf of the Harry Potter fans for failing to entertain you.
last edited Больше года