Дебаты Angles In America: An Excerpt (or two)

Cinders posted on Feb 08, 2008 at 05:34AM
I was reading this, and a few excerpts struck me:

Act 1 Scene IV: A bathroom.

LOUIS: Three of your colleagues have preceded you to this baleful sight and you're the first one to ask. The others just opened the door, saw me, and fled. I hope they had to pee real bad.
JOE: They just didn't want to intrude.
LOUIS: Hah. Reaganite heartless macho asshole lawyers.
JOE: Oh, that's unfair.
LOUIS: What is? Heartless? Macho? Reaganite? Lawyer?
JOE: I voted for Reagan.
LOUIS: You did?
JOE: Twice.
LOUIS: Twice? Well, oh boy. A Gay Republican.
JOE: Excuse me?
LOUIS: Nothing.
JOE: I'm not... Forget it.
LOUIS: Republican? Not Republican? Or...
JOE: What?
LOUIS: What?
JOE: Not gay. I'm not gay.
LOUIS: Oh. Sorry. It's just...
JOE: Yes?
LOUIS: Well, sometimes you can tell from the way a person sounds that... I mean, you sound like a...
JOE: No I don't. Like what?
LOUIS: Like a Republican.

(Little pause. JOE knows he's being teased; LOUIS knows he knows. JOE decides to be a little brave.)

JOE (Making sure no one else is around): Do I? Sound like a...?
LOUIS: What? Like a...? Republican, or...? Do I?
JOE: Do you what?
LOUIS: Sound like a...?
JOE: Like a...? I'm confused.
LOUIS: Yes. My name is Louis. But all my friends call me Louise. I work in Word Processing. Thanks for the toilet paper.

(LOUIS offers Joe his hand, JOE reaches, LOUIS feints and pecks JOE on the cheek, then exits.)

--------

Act 1 Scene VII

HARPER: Joe will be so angry. I promised him. No more pills.
PRIOR: These pills you keep alluding to?
HARPER: Valium. I take Valium. Lots of Valium.
PRIOR: And you're dancing as fast as you can.
HARPER: I'm not addicted. I don't believe in addiction, and I never... Well, I never drink. And I never take drugs.
PRIOR: Well, smell you, Nancy Drew.
HARPER: Except Valium.
PRIOR: Except Valium; in wee fistfuls.

(Cinders' favorite part:)

HARPER: It's terrible. Mormons aren't supposed to be addicted to anything. I'm a Mormon.
PRIOR: I'm a homosexual.
HARPER: Oh! In my church we don't believe in homosexuals.
PRIOR: In my church we don't believe in Mormons.

PRIOR: How on earth did you know...
HARPER: Oh, that happens. This is the very threshold of revelation sometimes. You can see things... How sick you are. Do you see anything about me?
PRIOR: Yes.
HARPER: What?
PRIOR: You are amazingly unhappy.
HARPER: Big deal. You meet a Valium addict and you figure out she's unhappy. That doesn't count. Of course I... Something else. Something surprising.
PRIOR: Something surprising.
HARPER: Yes.
PRIOR: Your husband's a homo.
HARPER: Oh, ridiculous. (pause, then very quietly) Really?
PRIOR: (Shrugs) Threshold of Revelation.
HARPER: Well, I don't like your revelations. I don't think you intuit well at all. Joe's a very normal man, he... Oh God. Oh God. He... Do homos take, like, lots of long walks?
PRIOR: Yes. We do. In stretch pants with lavender coifs. I just looked at you, and there was...
HARPER: A sort of blue streak of recognition.
HARPER: Like you knew me incredibly well.
HARPER: Yes. I have to go now, get back, something just... fell apart. Oh God, I feel so sad...
PRIOR: I... I'm sorry. I usually say, "Fuck the truth," but mostly, the truth fucks you.
HARPER: I see something else about you...
PRIOR: Oh?
HARPER: Deep inside you, there's a part of you, the most inner part, entirely free of disease. I can see that.
PRIOR: Is that... That isn't true.
HARPER: Threshold of revelation. Home.

(She vanishes)

PRIOR: People come and go so quickly here... I don't think there's any uninfected part of me. My heart is pumping polluted blood. I feel dirty.

I love this play.

So the relevance to debate: Gay/Lesbian Studies aka Queer Studies: Do gays have an accurate depiction in art? We think of campy plays (Rocky Horror) and stereotypes, but in actuality do you think that this is just a stereotype we use to help us feel more comfortable around gays?

For the record, Louis and Prior are lovers and Harper and Joe are married. (Pst: Joe is gay).
last edited on Feb 08, 2008 at 05:51AM

Дебаты 3 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года amazondebs said…
hmmm good point actually i have a few friends that are and several are actually very sterotypical lol

i think it's still a comedy value that's seems to have been overly popular since "some like it hot"
Больше года Cinders said…
Another Excerpt:

LOUIS: Why has democracy succeeded in America? Of course by succeeded I mean comparatively, not literally, not in the present, but what makes for the prospect of some sort of radical democracy spreading outward and growing up? Why does the power that was once so carefully preserved at the top of the pyramid by the original framers of the Constitution seem drawn inexorably downward and outward in spite of the best effort of the Right to stop this? I mean it's the really hard thing about being Left in this country, the American Left can't help but trip over all these petrified little fetishes: freedom, that's the worst; you know Jeane Kirkpatrick for God's sake will go on and on about freedom and so what does that mean, the word freedom, when she talks about it, or human rights; you have Bush [Sr] talking about human rights, and so what are these people talking about, they might as well be talking about the mating habits of Venusians, these people don't begin to know what, ontologically, freedom is or human rights, like they see these bourgeois property-based Rights-of-Man-type rights but that's not enfranchisement, not democracy, not what's implicit, what's potential within the idea, not the idea with blood in it. That's just liberalism, the worst kind of liberalism, really, bourgeois tolerance, and what I think is that what AIDS shows us in the limits of tolerance, that it's not enough to be tolerated, because when this shit hits the fan you find out how much tolerance is worth. Nothing. And underneath all the tolerance is intense, passionate hatred.
Больше года Cinders said…
In response to debs:

I do not deny that the gay stereotype can prove true of many gay men. Particularly Louis's comment about "sounding gay" however, I know a very straight guy who "sounds gay" too.

And yes-- there is a comedy value to the gay character. Shows like Will and Grace and Ugly Betty are celebrated for how they embrace the different, but the gay characters on shows like that are rarely (if ever) taken seriously.

Gays on television tend to be there more for comic relief than any serious depth. That's not to say that characters like Jack (Will and Grace) or Marc (Ugly Betty) don't have moments of deep character depth, only that they generally shown as frivolous and shallow.

Which is why shows like RENT! and Angels in America are so fascinating because their characters are very serious, and not stereotypes. Collins of RENT! is so far from the gay stereotype, he wouldn't even set off anyone's "gaydar" if he didn't fall in love with Angel in the second scene. And Louis and Prior are depicted like any normal couple with intense problems (Prior is dying from AIDS and Louis can't take it).

One thing for me about theater that beats movies and television any day is the lack of censorship or need for stereotypes, as well as the progression of ideas in theater that isn't necessarily present in Hollywood films (more so in Indie films but that's another story).