Дебаты Pro-Life AND Pro-Death penalty?

Zerstoren posted on Feb 11, 2008 at 11:38PM
I recently heard that the republican candidates are both Pro-Life and also for the death penalty. I never really thought about it before, but to me that seems hypocritical. Doesn't Pro-Life mean you want to preserve all human life, and wouldn't a full-grown person be just as worthy as an embryo?

Curious what others think about this.

Дебаты 8 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года Cinders said…
I see where you're coming from, but folks used to say it was hypocritical to be pro-choice and against the death penalty (which is what I am). I think they are two separate issues. I can't think right now but maybe later I can explain it better.
Больше года Zerstoren said…
Well pro-choice is about the right to choose.. Its not like someone would choose to die via death penalty.
Больше года amazondebs said…
i think for pro life and for pro death penalty
it's the fact that embryo are completely innocent and haven't had the chance to do anything wrong yet and deserve to live compared to certain criminals
Больше года smoore23 said…
That's a good point. I've never thought about it that way before. I think Amazondebs has it right, though. The unborn babies are innocent whereas people on death row have committed a crime worthy of death.
Больше года Zerstoren said…
I suppose thats true but i always thought of being pro-life as viewing all life as equal and worth preserving whether it be clusters of cells, a baby, an adult, or even a "bad person". But i guess being pro-life is more "Pro-innocent life" then?
Больше года amazondebs said…
i guess it depends on how your view criminals
a soul worth saving or
a eye for a eye

although they're both to do with death, really they can be looked at speratly
Больше года germany123 said…
im not sure about abortion laws in other countries but in germany you can legally have an abortion during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. people argue that during that time "life" doesnt yet exist. so it wouldnt be considered killing.
Больше года Cinders said…
Except, germany, that most pro-lifers believe life begins at conception.