Norse mythology Norse Mythology Myths

eyal10 posted on Feb 26, 2011 at 05:09AM
well i know a lot about greek and roman mythology but i want to know about norse i know heroes like siegfried and a girl that siegfried save from a cage or something and i cant remember her name.
and monsters like ice giants valkries fire giants and godss like thor odin loki but i want to know more i was thinking we could post myths and monsters and gods and all that so we can learn more

Norse mythology 5 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Больше года Emily_is_COOl said…
zzz
Uhh... Ugh, on google tyere are some sites, I wish Norse Myths were more famous so you couod type in _____ myth or god and get exactly what you want, like with Greek...
Больше года Idunn said…
The goddess of the sun is Sol, and god of the moon is Mani. They are driving two chariots that is the sun and the moon. After them comes two wolfes, Hate and Skoll. The wolfes is children of the jotunwoman, that is giving birth to wolfes in the Járnvid wood. And when Ragnarok comes, the two wolfes swallow Sol and Mani. That`s a little piece of Ragnarok.
last edited Больше года
 The goddess of the sun is Sol, and god of the moon is Mani. They are driving two chariots that is the
Больше года Emily_is_COOl said…
Why do the wOlves swallow them? Just wondering...
Больше года Idunn said…
this is based on the story in the book by Tor Åge Bringsværd – Den store boken om norrøne guder. The legend itself is old (naturally). I have used the Norwegian names in most circumstances, with a few exceptions.

List of Norwegian / Norse terms:
Niflheim: the original land of ice and mist, the cold.
Muspellsheim: the opposite of Niflheim; the land af flames and heat.
Ginnungagap: the gap between Niflheim and Muspellsheim, and the place where the world we know is now located.
Ymer: the first living creature, the largest giant ever to live.
Audhumla: the giant cow that "fed" Ymer and licked Bure out of the salty stone.
Bure: the giant man that the gods descend from. Bure was licked free from a stone by Audhumla.
aeser or æser: the main "family" of gods in Norse mythology.
Jotner: A name for the various ogres, trolls and orc-like creatures in Norse mythology.
Odin: the chief/king of the gods.
Vilje: One of Odin's brothers. Vilje means "Will" in Norwegian.
Ve: The other brother of Odin.
Bergelmer: the name of the male jotun that escaped the destruction of his kin with his wife.
Ask and Embla: the first humans.

Nobody knows where the mist came from. None can tell what ignited the first spark. All we know is this: in the beginning there was Cold and Heat. On the one side there was Niflheim, a giant cloud of frost and mist. On the other side was Muspellsheim, an ocean of frothing flames. Between them there was nothing but an immense, bottomless gap: Ginnungagap. Here in this intense emptiness – in the middle of light and dark – would all life have its beginning, in the date between ice and fire.

For there was an open channel somewhere in the misted land, and from this channel rivers drifted into the Ginnungagap. They fell rioting down over the edge and froze in the vicious dance and stiffened in tremendously huge taps of ice, covered in layers of hoar frost. By this method was one entire side of Ginnungagap filled with ice, snow, moistness and cold.

But on the other side, in the crushing wasteland of heat that was named Muspellsheim, the flames danced and the sparks flew through the air. In the middle of Ginnungagap the air turned mild and quiet as the ice met the heat. The ice started to melt and drip down. From this meeting, shapen by the cold, but woken to life by the heat, a strange creature arose – a humanlike giant, a jotun.

His name was Ymer. There never was a larger giant.

Where the ice melted, the drop formed another creature – with udders and horns: an enormous cow. This cow was called Audhumla. The milk ran like rivers from her udders, and so Ymer found food. Cows are fond of salt, and this first of all cows was no different from those we know today. Audhumla immediately begun to lick the salty, frosted stones that surrounded her and Ymer- But this was the moment for something strange to happen, for one of the stones was in no matter like the others…

The first day the cow licked it, a human hair started to stick out of it in the evening! The next day, the head and face was uncovered. The third day the body of a tall and beautiful man was out of the stone. His name was Bure, and the gods, whom we call aeser, descend from him.

Ymer the giant had babies with himself. While he was sleeping, he started to sweat. And from his left armpit grew a male and a female being. And Ymer's legs would be no less than his arms… His feet mated with one another and gave birth to a son with six heads. This was the beginning of the family of Ogres and Orcs, as we may call them, but that are better know to us as jotner.

At first, things must have worked out well enough- The new creatures must have managed to live peacefully alongside each others. At least they had children together…
Odin – he who would later be the chief of all gods, - is the son of the daughter of jotuns Bestla and Bure's son Bór.

But the generations of orcs are increasing in numbers. Ymer the giant is lazy and idle. He drinks milk and sleeps, and that's about it all. Still, all the time, new and terrifying trolls keep emitting from his tremendous body. The orcs and ogres cover the place, and Odin and his brothers – Vilje and Ve, are starting to feel threatened. They know they are the fewer in numbers- They know that the one that are different will always be in danger of being pushed out. And they know that they are living on the edge of a cliff…

Больше года fansfunsz said…
heart
i know a lot about norse myths if u want u can ask me something in on my profile