Дебаты What's your prejudice?

Cinders posted on Oct 15, 2007 at 05:50PM
I was worried about posting this as a pick, or posting this at all, but it's true that we all have at least one. Now I'm not saying you hate a certain group of people, or indeed even if your prejudice determines how you act towards a person at all, but you cannot deny having a little bit of misgivings towards a certain group of people. If the movie Crash has taught us anything, or indeed Avenue Q's (in)famous song, "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" has displayed in a lighter tone, prejudice towards race, religion, sexuality, gender, political beliefs, etc still exist in modern society.

So basically, I'm asking when you meet a person and learn that they are (insert prejudice here), do you become a little more reserved? Maybe a little scared? A little arrogant? A little nervous?

My prejudice (and I admit it freely) is Christians. Until I learn how Christian they are, I become reserved, I have certain misgivings, but I smile and treat them well, "like a good Christian should."

That doesn't mean I'm not friends with devout Christians! I think Christianity is beautiful in principal, but often judgmental in practice. As Ghandi said once, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Anyways, I know you all have other prejudices. Maybe towards Arabs, or liberals, or conservatives, or blacks, or whites, or scientologists, or Mormons, or gays, or the transgendered, or Mexicans...

Is this a bad topic? I'm just curious. Because anyone who says they are completely unbiased, and unjudging of those different from them is either lying or has never met anyone truly different from them.

Please, no one be offended. Christians are cool. I'm just saying, I'm wary of them. I'm sure you're wary of a certain group of people too.

To judge and fear the different is inherent in our nature, a primal instinct that teaches us survival of the fittest. If they are different, then they are our enemy, and threaten our species. That's our evolutionary logic. But it's intellect, it's compassion, that allows us to overcome this instinct, and allows us to rise above the animalistic urge to fear the different. Once we recognize that we have a prejudice, we can deal with it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I know I'm treading on thin ice. This may be politically incorrect, but I believe the world needs more of that.

And as I said to MajorDork, being politically incorrect is telling a racist joke to someone belonging to that race in jest, making light of a stereotype, all in good fun (A little white girl telling an Arab joke to a room full of Egyptians-- and having them laugh at her because they have to respect her audacity). Being racist and hurtful is believing the stereotype of the joke, spreading the stereotype, and advocating for exterminating the race in one form or other (IE, Ann Coulter's plan to "perfect" all Jews and make them Christian).

Дебаты 112 Ответы

Click here to write a response...
Next

Showing Replies 101-112 of 112

Больше года Kuro_Hyou666 said…
Another prejudice I have is against 'climate change deniers'

Generally, I say: 'Look, buddy, there's a whole truck load of evidence to support the science behind climate change. It's there and people don't always find it due to laziness and disinterest in an important worldwide issue. There's evidence that climate change is happening and we're causing it. You can't tell me that we aren't the integral factor behind climate change occurring... or, you're just trying to bulls**t me.' This prejudice is reinforced by greed, which is another prejudice I have. I don't understand greed at all - I work almost 50 hours a week, at a company I hate, in order to just get by in life. I don't think I could ever be swayed by greed, being the person I am, when I understand just how much it sucks to not have much and to just survive in life.

In fact, sometimes I wonder if I'm just prejudiced against people in general... at least, until I remind myself that's there's still so much hope out there and, that, all we have to do is find it.
last edited Больше года
audreygrace412 commented…
I agree with this completely. I think it's as simple as looking at a world map from 1900 compared to now. All of the green is disappearing. Part of the problem though is overpopulation and I think some people might not want to admit that so they avoid "global warming" altogether. Больше года
Больше года audreygrace412 said…
I have 3 prejudices right now:

1. Extreme right-wing and left-wing people in America: They scare me. I think anyone that far away from a balanced perspective isn't seeing the entire picture. Sometimes I might be wrong and they do see the entire picture but still think an extremist solution is in order, say Bernie Sanders for example, and I respect that but for the most part I am right and their extremist values are a way of trying to conform others to their personally subjective values, like Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio. As a moderate Independent, this really scares me. I think being a 1 party person is similar to being a 1 issue person and isn't the best way to find solutions or make progress in society. I love to hear opinions that are opposite of mine politically because it often shows me a different side that I hadn't seen before, helping me find the right balance. I personally think America does best when the majority of the population is centrist rather than polarized. I believe it brings more unity, respect and liberty amongst all Americans.

2. Trump Haters: They scare me too. One thing I notice about Trump is that he transcends all race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age and even political views. (Rating highest with Democrats and Independents than any other Republican candidate running.) What really seems to be the #1 separator between those who hate Trump and everyone else (ranging from dislike to love) is their emotional sensitivity. I find that those who "hate" Trump often tend to not be comfortable with themselves or have elements of being anti-social. I find that the people who protest him the most tend to be those who work hardest to divide the population rather than unite it. I have met plenty of people I respect who don't like Trump or aren't voting for him but the ones who personally hate him or call him a racist or a sexist almost always turn out to be very emotionally sensitive to me without a sense of balanced maturity and respect for freedom and independence. They often misquote and misconstrue statements or even just make things up (like he's a racist or sexist) or imply things they feel is being said instead of focusing on what is actually being said or true and objective concerns (like being a businessman). I try to talk to them though in case it is just a misinformation of the media meant to spur impulsive emotional responses or if their hatred is actually reasonable and logical. Usually those who hate him are the former and those who dislike or disagree with him are the latter.

3.Hillary Supporters: The absolute most frightening group of people to me right now. I just don't understand how any self-respecting person could support Hillary Clinton so that is my prejudice. They tend to fall into both categories of #1 and #2 as well. It's horrendous that someone who has lied so much to the American people, who has been referred to as "the hardest person to humanize" and who has committed crimes - through incompetence in her job, at the very least - is even able to run for president right now and it shows the corruption in American politics more than anything else. I feel bad for Bernie Sanders, he doesn't deserve the way she and her establishment are treating him. She should legally be disqualified from running. I find that most people who support Hillary have no idea of her past or present policies and usually know nothing more than that she is "a woman running for President" and are voting for her purely for that sexist reason, freely admitting it.
Больше года BlindBandit92 said…
To amend to my earlier comment: I am prejudiced towards irrationally prejudiced people. People who are racists just because said person told them it's okay. Just most irrational prejudices period if not all. It bothers me greatly that many people are irrationally prejudiced to a large amount. I am also prejudiced against Trump Supporters. I find most of them not to understand they live in the real world. I used to be prejudiced towards Republicans but that is gradually changing.
last edited Больше года
Больше года 2ntyOnePilots said…
I believe I might have a prejudice to people who selectively choose to the world as black or white good or evil.
Больше года KataraLover said…
People who believe in more than two genders. I'm someone who believes being transexual/transgender should be allowed. Despite being a Christian and growing up in a small-minded area in Kentucky, I support not only that but the LGBT community in general and don't find anything sinful about it. I'm pretty liberal but I'm not going to be delusional and blindly believe nonsense like non-binary, gender fluid, and all the rest of that crap. Anytime when you question their "logic" and ask for them to find their "scientific evidence" that they claim they have that proves that there are more than two genders, they just say "I don't have to prove my existence to you! I am valid! I exist!" Obviously you exist, since I'm not talking to an imaginary person, I would never imagine someone that delusional. However, that does NOT mean that what you're claiming to be is real and exists. If you can claim to be a new gender, can anyone claim that they don't identify with the age they are? Or they don't identify as a human being? I'm all for equality and letting people be themselves, but we need to have a line between what is acceptable and what is just plain delusional and attention seeking.
ThePrincesTale commented…
A Вопрос I'm genuinely asking in good faith, I'm honestly not trying to argue: if Ты have time, could Ты read the Статья on fa'afafines and tell me which gender they fit into? link Больше года
Больше года zanhar1 said…
I have a major prejudiced against he upper class and people who support corporations.
Больше года ThePrincesTale said…
^Lol basically my prejudice too. Love having a lil joke or two about guillotining the rich :') (Am I fully joking? Hmmm)

A related prejudice of mine: people who think the "elites" are university academics and scientists "sitting in their ivory towers". And then proceed to position themselves with the "common sense" stance of supporting people like Donald Trump (??) Someone who was born into a millionaire family and just built on that for his entire life. Or they'll support Republican policies like easing environmental restrictions on corporations and giving tax cuts to the rich. All the while banging on about how the world is "run by the elites". Like guys??? The "elites" are the very people you're supporting

Basically anyone who voted Trump because he was gonna "stick it to the elites". Loool
last edited Больше года
Больше года Keeloves said…
A prejudice I have are people who think that non binary or he him lesbians can be a thing. To me lesbian means a woman who is attracted to women romantically and or sexually. To me I feel this dilutes the meaning of the word lesbian. I have no problem with trans women saying they are lesbian, I have no problem with ace lesbians as in aromatic or asexual lesbians because sexual orientation and romantic orientation don't always go hand in hand. Now people want to try to say "Bi lesbians and pan lesbians exist" No darling they do not. Lesbian means a homosexual woman or gay woman. I also do not like the continuous expansion of the LGBTQ (I don't mind the word queer) community because the label was fine the way it was but this continuous expansion of the acronym not only dilutes what it has stood for but it also makes things confusing and there is a decline in support for the the LGBTQ people.
zanhar1 commented…
I think that by 'bi lesbian' they mean a bisexual who has a preference for women??? Idk though, that's my theory on it. Because that is a thing I'm bisexual and I can see myself with a woman еще than a man, but would totally get with a man too. Больше года
Keeloves commented…
Then they should just say bisexual with a preference for women. Bi Lesbian is just an annoying term and it implies Лесбиянки like men which they don't Больше года
Current prejudice: people who dismiss anything that challenges their beliefs as "fake news" or "conspiracy". It basically forms a self-sealing belief system. Something that supports their beliefs is accepted unquestionably, while something that challenges them becomes evidence in itself for those beliefs because it's all part of some vast conspiracy is oppressing them.

A past prejudice that I talked about on this forum, but have since overcome: I'm sorta ashamed to admit that I used to be a bit prejudiced against Americans ("they're stupid" "they have dumb political views" etc). Tbf, this is common in Australia lol.

But strangely, as I've learnt more about all the horrific shit carried out by the US government over the past few decades, I've become far LESS anti-American?? As in, I hate their government more than ever. But I'm no longer prejudiced against the American people themselves.

I think it's because I now see that Americans are just as much the victims of their shitty government as anyone else. They don't have the universal healthcare that every other developed country does, their minimum wage is barely enough on survive on, they have to take out private loans just to go to uni, they're preyed upon by military recruiters as young / impressionable 16-year-olds, their politicians are more beholden to corporate interests than any other western nation. And to top it off, the reason that most of them don't see how shitty this all is = they've been fed propaganda / indoctrinated into nationalism their entire lives.

Tl;dr I hate the American government but it's actually made me a lot more empathetic towards ordinary Americans. I genuinely feel solidarity / warmth towards them bc they're fuckin oppressed by their own government lol
last edited Больше года
ThePrincesTale commented…
Also helps that I've met many wonderful and sane Americans on the internet and irl Больше года
Also, terminally-2015-brained people whose entire political beliefs centre around SJW cringe compilations.

In fact, the whole culture war nonsense falls flat when you realise how screwed up actual politics is. Why are we wasting time debating stupid shit when the global economy is in tatters, the climate is warming even faster than predicted, and we have criminals running our governments?

I judge em hard sorry
last edited Больше года
Больше года Cinders said…
I'm very, very judgey of my past self.

"And as I said to MajorDork, being politically incorrect is telling a racist joke to someone belonging to that race in jest, making light of a stereotype, all in good fun (A little white girl telling an Arab joke to a room full of Egyptians-- and having them laugh at her because they have to respect her audacity). Being racist and hurtful is believing the stereotype of the joke, spreading the stereotype, and advocating for exterminating the race in one form or other (IE, Ann Coulter's plan to "perfect" all Jews and make them Christian)."

EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, past me was so sheltered and casually racist. I can't believe I said that. Guys, let's talk about why racist jokes are never harmless... even when you think (like I did) that they are. But that's for another time.

Also, I like ThePrincesTale's trend of talking about prejudices overcome. I have no beef with Christians any longer.

These days, it's anti-maskers and "stop the steal" Trump supporters. And that style of radical conservatives. You know, the type who would try to tear down our entire institution to keep a despot in power. That type.
last edited Больше года
Больше года zanhar1 said…
Tbh Trump supporters have become my bias at least the really gungho, no questions asked ones.